Anglican Churches of Woodstock Ontario

   

About Woodstock

 
 
  The Anglican Churches in Woodstock, Ontario are in the Deanery of Oxford in the Diocese of Huron.

Old St Paul's Anglican Church, Woodstock, Ontario

Old St Paul's Anglican Church

Dundas and Huron St., Woodstock, Ontario
Phone: 519-537-3912
Rector: Rev. Bruce Genge (Dean of Oxford)

Old St Paul's Anglican Church was built in 1834.   During the Rebellion of 1837, the building became a temporary jail for prisoners captured by local Militia.   The Bishop of Quebec George J. Mountain consecrated St. Paul’s in 1838.   The Chancel was added to the original structure in 1843 and the transepts in 1851.
   

Church of the Epiphany, Woodstock, Ontario

Church of the Epiphany

19 Wellington Street South, Woodstock, Ontario
Phone: 519-537-3921
Rector: Rev. Dr. Stephen Hendry (since 15 January 2012)

The Church of the Epiphany building was constructed in 1879 as New St Paul's Church.

The parish was established when the New St Paul's and All Saints churches merged.   All Saints was deconsecrated on March 26, 2006.

Church of the Good Shepherd, Woodstock, Ontario

Church of the Good Shepherd

1023 Devonshire Avenue, Woodstock, Ontario
Phone: 519-537-3362
Rector: Rev. Victor Krueger-Kischak (since Dec. 15, 2007)

The Church of the Good Shepherd was formed in 1951.   It is a 2-point charge, its sister church is Christ Church, Huntingford, Ontario.
 


Woodstock, Ontario (2006 pop. 35,480) is located on the Thames River in the heart of southwestern Ontario.

The townsite was not surveyed until 1833 and 1834.   In 1834, British Admiral Henry Vansittart arrived and named the village in honour of Woodstock, England where he had been educated.   Old St Paul's Church was financed through the efforts of the Admiral.
 

 
 

Anglicans in Woodstock

 
 


St Paul's was the first church in Woodstock built in 1834.   Its rector for 45 years was William Bettridge who was at first the only Anglican clergyman in the region.

In the mid 1870's, it was decided to build a new, larger building to replace St. Paul's, and with the opening of New St.Paul's, what was supposed to the last service was held in Old St. Pauls in December 1879.

A portion of the congregation were dissatisfied with the new arrangement and moved back into the old building in 1882.   Old St. Paul's was reestablished as a new parish.
 

 
 

Huron Anglican
Parishes Blog

   
< < <   St John's Anglican
Sandwich, Ontario
    Ring of Light The Necessity of Jesus' Resurrection
by Arthur C Custance
  > > >